Monday, July 06, 2015

Lazy Boston Sunday

I'm always worried about going to a church I found through googling. The first time I did this I went to a very welcoming and kind baptist church in Minnesota. In contrast to my overly large death metal t-shirt and more holes than demin jeans, their young ladies were all wearing gentle ankle length skirts and modest head coverings. Although we worshipped the same God that morning, it was never going to be more than a second-cousins hello.

This morning we went to Holy Trinity church in Boston and it was home away from home. (Although all the women in this church were also better dressed than me, it wasn't so much due to Old Testament interpretation than scruffy being my style. (I generally dont dress up for church as God is 
everywhere and isn't fooled by my attempts at smartness when I attend the church building. It's hard to impress or fool someone who created you.) (also have you seen me try to look smart? I usually look like a 13 year old girl playing dress up, with trainers, always trainers).

Any who, the sermon was awesome today. Simple truths are just so effective at encouraging learning and change. The preacher focused on why Jesus ends many of his miraculous healings by telling the 
individual involved to I not tell anyone. Surely someone starting a new world religion would need the word spread as far as possible. But the preacher argued that Jesus was not starting a new powerful religion through thunder and lightning antics, but in a way that attempts to encourage us to engage in meaningful relationships with each other. Indeed isn't that how we learn most? Through those we are in relationship with. 

It refines a focus on life which I've been reviewing a lot lately: this could be it! Wouldn't it be great to 
say that you hadn't done something because you were too busy talking or hanging out with a friend? 
In an age of everything being punctuated by the regular checking of phones (not even just answering them when they seek out our attention), it is so important to me to spend the time I am with people, actually with them. But I do get too caught up on doing the housework and putting things in order, perhaps a messy house is not a bad symptom of being engaged in life with other people.

I guess for me I spend so much time with my girls and Xss that I need to consider them as people to be I fellowship with, not people to gain space from by hiding in the toilet with theiPad. 

  • Make a rule, and pray to God to help you to keep it: Never, if possible, to lie down at night without being able to say. "I have made one human being, at least, a little wiser, a little happier, or a little better this day." - Charles Kingsley

 Starbucks and I spent a long time today playing in the frog pond park in Boston Common. For some reason she enjoys either putting the water out of the pool via a cup, or walking around on the side not actually going in. I feel that this is like carrying around a book but never opening it. I'm just jealous because I want to run in screaming and lay flat on my back in the middle. But I only had spare clothes for the children :(

No comments: