Sunday, July 12, 2015

Chilling in Aruba

We are really enjoying Aruba.  Firstly the weather and beaches are uncertain, but also because it is a little bit more like our old (pre children) style  travelling. Challenges are being overcome and it's that familiar pride of having arrived in a new town with no map (there is a scarcity of maps and guides to Aruba? ), no experience of how to get around, where to eat, or more importantly where to go to entertain the children. I think perhaps this is a large part of what travelling is to me; rising to the challenge of living in an unknown place.

Aruba is a really hard place to try to understand. It is impossible to identify a local by skin colour, first language or anything else so it's tough to even work out who you should be blending in with. Since it is a Dutch territory the Dutch come and go as do the Aruban's. There is a large American influence here, several chains like dunkin donuts, Wendy's and burger king. I don't care for the American tourists here, who much like the British and Australian tourists elsewhere, seem to want the weather but nothing else of the country. I didn't manage to get a photo today but an American zoomed past us today on a noisy jet ski. It sent a torent of waves and noise over us and the locals all enjoin the beach but he didn't notice as he was having fun. This seems the opitamy of irresponsible travel, trashing another's culture for your own quick kicks. But isn't this what I myself as doing too? Speaking only English, enjoying my starbucks and spending my American dollars enjoying a picturesque beach? Can travelling ever not be harmful to the host culture?

This is how Cookie naps for now.

What do 3 years olds think when having out to a sea they can't quite understand?

Safety first.



2 comments:

:-D Bubble Bee said...

I wonder too, about humans invading different areas, cultures, environments... I guess the difference is that you're aware of this and the impact you and your family are making. You're planet-aware and this will affect your behaviour; I suspect you're being very respectful. It's a shame not all travellers are as conscientious.

Geek said...

Cheers Deb, it's nice of you to say, but I can't help but feel that our very presence is almost too much. An audience to something which before then people were not aware was being observed. Creating a self consciousness that should not be. Sort of like trying to run your own footprints out in the sand. I wonder what your impact in Canada is.