Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Can you get even bruises?

Bali has been great. I've loved it all. If anyone wants to start out travelling the easy way, Bali is the place to go. Everyone speaks English so the possibilities to understand and ask questions are limitless!!

We started with a break near the beach in Sanur, then went up to the north of the Island to a black beach, which sounds different and fun, but actually is very hard to break the association of black/gray sand with dirty, unhygienic ugliness. We then landed in Ubud the land of loveliness where we could wander around for hours in the rice paddies and vine covered trees. There is carved ornateness everywhere and every gate frames a dazzling entry to another world. Seriously, its awesome, but have not got my camera here to upload photos. Sorry.

Basically everywhere you look in Bali there is lay upon layer of fascinating things and i cant believe that i didn't trip over more than usual as i was always starting elsewhere. In order to embrace the place as much as possible, like usual, we tried the food and engaged in local activities. Well really this meant sometimes i forwent my chips for a 'noodles with left overs stirred' in dish and we went for a massage.

Now as most of you will know, i hate strangers touching my body so i opted for a leg massage instead. It was fun, but not in the way i expected. Are massages always painful? I basically spent the whole time with my hands interwoven behind my head as if they were by my sides my fist were clenched and then i thought she might notice. The phrase, 'right, that's enough' was on the tip of my tongue as my stomach muscles tried to pull me up to a sitting position on the bed. But i persevered and tried to be positive, that at least if she was bruising me, she was doing it very evenly and it might just look like dirt. I also realised how ridiculous this was as i lay there wondering why i wouldn't just ask her to be a bit lighter with her hands. I thought about this the whole of the half hour, and couldn't come up with one reason why i shouldn't ask her.

I've loved Bali, the culture, the friendly people and the sights, but we never found a wonderful beach setting, so (sad as it is to have this silly requirement for a great 5 star pole position) i cant decide if i would come back or not. Bali does not seem to make a holiday by itself.

No comments: