Thursday, January 08, 2015

Human Rights

Recently Princess asked me to attend a concert she was singing in. I love singing. Really love singing. I'm not any good, but i enjoy it, as i believe pretty much everyone does due to the popularity of karaoke.

So I checked out her choirs website. It made me mad but took me a whole to work out why.

- firstly the website advertised that you could come along to your first choir session for a 'non-committal £9'
- 800 concert tickets were on sale for £15 each with no reference to what this money would be used for, and I know my friend would be singing for free.

I finally realised why this made me mad. No one should have to pay to sing. Why singing is a human right, as surely as breathing is? In our house we have had to create a rule to counter a totalitarian 2 year olds shouts of, ' no I singing' (meaning you can't sing), and 'I don't like it'(meaning you can't sing) and 'don't sing!' (This one might be obvious - meaning = you can't sing). So our family rule is 'everyone can sing whenever they like'. And I think this should apply to the world over.

In terms of the choir, I understand that a cost might be incurred for the person leading the choir, and for hiring the venue to rehearse, but this seemed more than that. And indeed they don't charge on a pay as you come basis; which is also sad. Surely if people liked singing in this choir they would happily turn up every week without a financial duty to.

I'm not sure if my views are tainted by my weekly church attendance where I get to sing for free every single week, but singing your heart out is good for you. It makes everything all right. Just watch the x-factor!


No comments: