Sunday, June 19, 2011

Whats going on ear then?

Did you know some people say that your ears never stop growing. So that's why old people have big ears. Well, apparently. Since this weekend has been crammed with visiting elderly relatives i thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to test this theory.

First up my parents house. My mum's ears seem average, but my step-dads- well they are certainly big. I mean it makes sense in someways doesn't it. Gravity makes skin droop, there are not really any muscles supporting an earlobe are there?!

Today i went to see my Grandparents, and again, yes they both have copious amounts of ear. I didn't dare ask to measure them, but I'd like to challenge you to. Well, not measure my grandparents ears, but your own, and any old people you know. Write me your initials, age and ear size (measuring the left ear from highest point to lowest point -diagonally if necessary) and i will plot a graph, and get my stats loving flat mate to work out if it is dataorially significant (and yes that is a word).

On a funny note, when we went to see my Grandma in the Home, another old lady came up to Xss, obviously impressed with his looks and kept shuffling towards him closer and closer. Their heads were the same height with him sitting and her standing, and the magnetism she felt towards him meant she was unable to stop until she was an uncomfortable 40cm from him and seemed to shuffle closer with each question of hers he answered. I wasn't sure if she was going to try to kiss him, or just wanted a really good look at him. He coped with it well, and didn't even react when she pointed to his cream hooded jumper and stated, 'oh i used to have a cardigan like that'. I on the other hand was struggling to contain my chortles. I think she meant it as a compliment, and they moved on to discuss the lovely warmth a nice cardigan can bring.

Dont forget to measure your ears and post the results here. To get you started here are some i have collected:
Xss - 28yo, 69mm
LE - 28yo, 58mm

No comments: