Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nothing changes but you

I'm at home, in my flat, in my room, on my worn out old cumbersome computer (Rocky is his name) with my old bed covers and old radio alarm clock blaring out in red numbers that it is almost bed time. The windows next to the bed are still dusty and there are signs that the rain still seeps in under the window when the right angle of wind is teamed with a certain tenacity of rainfall. This allows a significant puddle to pool on the ledge, before occasionally plummeting to the floor in organised groups leaving a wet puddle near the bed in the carpet. But none of this is new, and although they are old problems that need fixing, none of these issues seem to be as pressing this week, the first in our flat, as THE towels.

Some people might label this 'nesting' or 'girlification' or simply just 'growing up', but really its just logic. It dawned on me as i was getting out of my first shower back in the flat, that the faded, flat, slightly mouldy smelling towel i was about to dry myself on was not as nice as the towels we were using when away. Not only was it worse than the towels in the lovely hotels we stayed in at the end, but it was even worse than the towels in the grubby hostels we had been staying in for $7 a night! Now i want new ones, ones in which visitors to our house will not have to think, 'well, its ugly but functional' but will actually enjoy using! I want matching towels, in two different colours, which match the paint work. And enough of them that we no longer need the towel with all the swimming badges sewn on down the side as back up. I am proud that i can swim 10meters, but i could always put a sign in the bathroom stating this instead.

However, this wanting nice things has now gotten out of control. I went into the kitchen and now i want new matching tea towels, and why stop there, perhaps matching tea caddies and sugar pot, that match the tea towels! I can even acknowledge that there is NO point whatsoever for having a tea caddy, but i want one. I got so carried away in the kitchen that now i have thrown away the kettle and toaster, in order to get matching ones (shiny and black), unfortunately the matching kettle was out of stock and now we have to boil water in a saucepan until it comes in, but when it does, why, you are going to be blown away by the neatness of my kitchen.

No comments: