Saturday, July 03, 2010

The calm before the storm

Last night I went to the Opera which I thought was going to be The Marriage of Figaro', but turned out it was Le Nozze di Figaro - it seemed almost exactly the same. If you haven't seen opera this is the one to go to: massive voices, set in this grand operatic building, with to yearn for costumes accompanied by jokes, some familiar songs, and when it all gets a bit much you can laugh at the somewhat silly warbley bits. As we had tickets right up the top (they are actually affordable up there- £10-20) I spent most of the performance kneeling on the floor leaning over the balcony to see the stage. But you could see it well (we were close to the stage, just high up) and it was great.

On one of my rests (my knees also got sunburnt the other day so they were not as durable as usual!) I sat back in my seat and looked around at the audience and it was so amazingly calm. A kind of calm that you imagine you only get at the bottom of a giganormous wave when your on a little, tiny boat and you accept the facts and wait, in awe. To be honest barely anyone was even moving at all, just completely still and focused absorbed in the opera. That is apart from the people near me who got a bit annoyed at the ADD girl bobbing around looking at everyone and everything; sighing loudly in sympathy with everyone looking so relaxed. I guess people have apportioned that time of their busy lives to being there and it was so nice. A united harmony. There is something very powerful and beautiful about harmony

On other notes. We have a new flatmate! I don't mind the 'finding a flatmate process' as the last few times we've done it I've met several people I'd actually like to be friends with- this time there was Anne-Marie and Kathryn. Is this a legitimate friend making scheme? How cross would you be if you found out I didn't really have a room to let I just wanted to met new people?

No comments: