Friday, June 12, 2015

New York wasn't my thing

New York wasn't my thing. We saw many great buildings but found it hard to really get under it's skin. We ate hot dogs, we saw the Empire State Building, we picnicked in Central Park but we didn't really engage with New Yorkers.

To be fair we stayed in New Jersery and got the tube (PATH - Pronounced paff don't be fooled) in each day, to save money ( when I say save money I mean be able to afford to visit) so we didn't exactly live in a NY neighbourhood and get to know how they work. We did enjoy our stay in Jersery city, but Xss susinctly labelled it the Croyden of New York. Regional offices and a functional area lacking personality. We did manage to make friends with the local Starbucks staff and Starbucks was a hit, giving high fives to the regular staff she knew. But some aspects of America are hard for me to take. It's unusual for us to have a mature adult working in an entry
Level service industry job, and it makes me sad how hard some american have to work to support their families with so little leave for so little pay.



I'm having issues with uploading photos (in that I forgot several gadgets and things in Britain) but I'll upload pictures soon. Cookie has two new top teeth so has been waking up a lot at night, but it's not really a problem when you are on holiday everyday is it.

No comments: