Thursday, July 26, 2012

My flats debutan

I don't know why but Auntie Wendys impending visit really made me feel like i was having to display my prowess as a mother and homekeeper. I don't really think Wendy minded what state anything was in, but knowing that she had been to my sister-in-laws three story west London palace, was staying with my mother-in-law in her 1950's themed tranquil flat, and had requested to see our place i was worried.

I cant help it, but it felt like my chance to put our lifestyle on display to be judged, despite not acknowledging any desire for comparison, had arrived. Our little two bedroomed, cream, affordable TV watching flat complete with planned baby was to go on display. I think i half passed. The house was wonderfully clean and tidy, the baby clean and dressed, and performed smiles on cue. However, my mother-in-law brought the lunch with her, and washed it up. Auntie Wendy was very nice about our flat, and i think she liked it without compare. I also forgot that she would have an active 3 year old with her (her son) and children offer an endless distraction from the real world, perhaps she didnt notice that i'm not orgnised enough to prepare a proper lunch (in fact the thought fills me with dread- what do real adults eat for lunch? Certainly not McDonalds, or a cheese sandwich at a push?)

However, I think i passed, i think i am adult woman (who can keep house but not arrange lunch).... but not adult enough to get rid of my tongue piercing or give up wanting to dye my hair navy blue.

Now roll on the pirate murder mystery party! No adults allowed.

No comments: