Thursday, February 10, 2011

My so called Zoo life

My Favourite- the Loris', who unfortunately sleep during the day. lazies.

I love it. I really do. I am not sure if part of it is that i am in one place for long enough to do washing AND hang it up to dry, or that they cook all my meals, give me innumerable breaks (in fact its more like the work is a break from sitting around reading and chatting), and i get to spend time with Xss.
Recently Xss had been discussing whether in the future we might be able to run a hotel together, and then came to the conclusion that we cant. As he wont agree with all the decisions i want to make. He is so unreasonable! BUT perhaps we could run a zoo together.....
Our day starts at 6.30am everyday, which sometimes makes me feel like i might be going on a childhood holiday when you get up in the middle of the night to leave. Well, i am romanticising that a bit, really i feel like i want to die, but social pressures to meet the rest of my team means i get up. We then feed some sort of animals. Initially as you are shown around you think, 'oh, this is great you can get really close to the animals and could if you wanted to touch them through the cage', as soon as you've been around to feed anything you think, 'oh, not so great, the animals try to 'touch YOU' through the cage'. I got grabbed by a Gibbon my first day, he wouldn't let go but someone freed me with no shirt rippage!

The Bears, waiting to 'touch me'.


We generally then clean out, clean a pool in an enclosure or prepare some treats for the animals. Then there's lunch at 12, a selection of Thai dishes, and nothing to do until 2pm. In the afternoon we generally feed again and tidy things up, lock up and put the rubbish out. Xss has been doing different things to me and today played football with a long billed bird (i don't know what exactly) for about 15 minutes. Unfortunately towards the end of this time Randy (the bird) said he would not support Norwich City, as he wanted to remain neutral since there are so many nationalities at the zoo. There are about 30 volunteers here of all ages and nationalities. But since English is the best language in the world, everyone speaks English to each other.


One of the five elephants, June. They really are quite ugly. Here she is refusing to got the way the people 'walking her' want her to go.

No comments: