Thursday, August 20, 2009

Passion: The football way.

So what to write about. I struggle to write on here often because i just cant believe that anyone might be interested in my opinion or moaning about whatever i feel. That being said, my main purpose for this is for me to read it back at some stage: I can find old letters i have written to friends and read them with enjoyment, sometimes only noticing at the end that i have written it myself.

So i went to see the Brentford- Norwich City match two nights ago. It was a great experience and it was an eye opener to how Xss functions. My Husband (Xss) an avid season ticket holder for many years (despite no longer living in Norwich) thrives off football, and the normally emotionally even and planned individual suddenly morphs into this passionate, hawk eyed, emotional part of a crowd. I've never seen him cheer so whole heartedly or enter the depths of dispair so spontaneously.

It was a great experience to share, and reminded me of my own passion for rock concerts and the feeling of being one with a crowd and passionately empathising and living through the performers/players in front of you. I believe each teenager needs a serious passion to keep them on the straight and narrow to get to fruitful adulthood and this is Xss's.

Unfortunately, as is commonly the way with Norwich these days, they lost 2-1 to a team which had only just been promoted to the league which Norwich had been demoted to. (so really Norwich should be top of the league and Brentford bottom). I sat a few chairs away from the glorious Delia Smith (cook and sponsor of Norwich), who looked depressed and non responsive when they began to lose.

'Its only a game' is not a phrase that can be uttered around these people, to them it is not, its a way of life, a passion, a community, and a uniting cause. Try saying 'its only a band' to the girls who thought about suicide after Take That broke up.

Passion is a life giving quality

Quite disappointed that there were no fresh doughnuts for sale during the half time- is it me or does that seem like a good snack to have at the football?

Task: Cut out unhealthy snacks. Gotta get fit for my holidays.

P.S Am now checking my email daily (or hourly on a slow day) to see if Rainbow farm reply to my email.

No comments: