Wednesday, April 18, 2018

How i grew to love my 'Mama' T-shirt

This time around i am REALLY struggling with the physical changes in my body post-natally. I am trying to learn to appreciate and value the beautiful thing which has grown and created 3 new human beings, and i am trying to see this as an honour and a gift. I know that it is. However, I feel like i should wear a badge which boasts that this body has grown 3 people; not because i want to gloat, or put others down, but actually issuing an apology, disguised as an excuse as to why (i feel) my body is now socially unacceptable.

I'm not sure if i am clear enough about the facts that i am EVERSO grateful that i have been able to have kids, and if i could choose between them and my body, I'd choose them (but society is screaming at me that i shouldn't have to choose). And i do appreciate that this is a petty issue. Tiny cosmetic differences i shouldn't even mention, but i just don't feel like the old me.

My only idea of how to recondition my mind to love my new look is to try to view my stretchmarks are tree trunk rings. signs of age, and strength and beauty. depth. unique to nature. My additional weight......? Perhaps i could get a tattoo to hide it all? Im less easy to blow over in the wind now. Really the only solution i feel there is is plastic surgery, but what is that telling my kids? A mum body is something to be fixed?

Part of my problem is that i feel uncomfortable with my own stereotype of overweight people, which was unconscious until today. On closer examination this does not apply to my friends, or really anyone i know, only the presumptions and stereotypes i place on the strangers i see on the street. Judgemental yes, honest yes.

I feel like overweight people in general are:
1) lazy
2) weak
3) eat too much
4) unhealthy
5) past their prime.

 However, when i thinking about individuals i actually know, they are excellent individuals not fitting of the above labels, but healthy and fit within a bigger body. So this is where i need to start for self acceptance. Get fit (this does not mean slim)! Don't be lazy, weak, and unhealthy - focus on changing these things and my size becomes irrelevant to me.
Must learn to dance in the rain.

No comments: