Saturday, October 10, 2015

No. I'm not a feminist.

Normally when someone says, 'I'm not being racist but,......' Someone is trying to interject a racist opinion into your life whilst maintaining you as a comrade.

I know that often when people first meet me they assume I have very feminist views. I can only attribute this to my hatred for pink (denying my genders first love), I am not hot on maintaining my armpit smoothness I tend to go for it-saw-a-razor-this-sometime-this-week-stuble and most annoyingly to some people, my disregard for dressing to impress (which includes make up). Scruffy is my style.

*[the bible says in 1 Peter 3:3-4 'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit', which I last piously thought of how free I was by only wearing make up for very special occasions and alternating between my micro wardrobe of jeans and vest tops, whilst dying my hair a more fetching blonde colour! Also I have not incidentally progressed from the not dressing nicely to actually working on having inner beauty. Anywho.]

Sorry. Side track.

So Starbucks has experienced her first discrimination. Misjustice done to her makes me mad inside knowing that her whole future awaits. Her first discriminatory comment was, 'girls cannot drive boats'; trivial but also somewhat significant. Following that a boy threw a straw away in disgust saying, 'It's a girls colour!'.  In my opinion it's pretty much irrelevant who these children's parents are as these are societal issues, did they pick this up at home or through nursery or TV? Why is a girls colour worse than a boys? Why does gender relate to driving? How am I going to explain to Starbucks why people are making assumptions about her despite not knowing her?

It's tempting to make an easy comment 'retaliating' and saying that boys colours are yucky or that women are actually better drivers as proven by car insurance records, etc, but this only perpetuates the point. 

I guess for me part of the solution is to work harder to make sure that I don't continue this trend. I'm careful to vary my labels of Starbucks and not call her pretty too often, but do I try as hard with the boys and expect them to cry less?

No comments: