Sunday, June 30, 2013

Starbucks makes me happy

I love Starbucks. An easy deduction, but today i am writing about the delicious Mocha Cookie Crumble frapaccino.

I went to university today (one lecture left and then I'm done) which was brilliant and terrible in waves. Only two of us turned up, and the other girl annoys me to say the least. At several stages during the lecture i considered whether i should, 'social work' her to demonstrate my person skills to the lecturer, (whom i love and have decided i want to work for in the future). Often the lecture seemed like a visit at work. The best conversation was as follows (remember this is 6 months into the social work course):

teacher: '...now this is a skill that you will need a lot as a social worker'
Annoying girl: 'oh. No. I don't want to be a social worker'.
Teacher: 'so what do you want to be?'
Annoying girl: 'a teacher'.
moment of silence as social work class grounds to a halt.
Me: ' So why are you doing a social work degree?'
Annoying girl: 'because a teacher i know told me i needed to get a degree, any degree, and then do a PGCE conversion course to become a teacher'.
amazing.

We then had a long, slow drawn out conversation about how if you wanted to be a teacher, perhaps a teaching degree was the best option, and the quickest. She asked a couple of times if she has just wasted a year doing the first year of a social work degree. It seems likely but neither I, nor the tutor had the heart to admit it.

She then refused to do any work, whenever she was asked a question answered with, 'i don't know', 'i've got a headache' or 'ask someone else'. When eventually i got really annoyed i asked her why she had come, to which she replied that she wanted to learn. Its amazing how you can never see whats in front of your face. She was refusing to learn AND hindering me from doing so. Eventually she left after saying 'Bye Kelly' and when i corrected her, she stated, 'i thought your name was Kelly' in such a way that it felt like a challenge that perhaps i had secretly changed my name over the course of the 6 months she has known me. cheers love.

Anyways once she left i got my geek on and got to chat social work politics and theory one on one with my idol. sorry. lecturer.

Following this annoyance, i felt like she ruined my lecture, i got trapped in the hell that was Gay Pride. I've never realised how illogical it is to let people march down oxford street and not have ANY WAY TO CROSS IT. There were crowds of terribly slow walking people all trying to hit me with their big yellow Selfridges bags thrown over their shoulders. The police had no information on where to direct people and I got very lost of backstreets looking for a way to get to ANY TUBE STATION. I found my way to Starbucks.

Option: drink Starbucks or sit on the pavement and cry (and i never cry). Starbucks won. I became more rational, called Honestly who was sitting at her laptop and directed me out of the mess via phone. I really need an I-Phone. not only would it help me navigate unfamiliar streets, it could mark out all the Starbucks for me :)

2/52 Happy? Starbucks Mocha Cookie Crumble Frapaccino!

1 comment:

Perkins said...

Love that the "teacher" is mimicking all the nonsense the pupils will be pushing her way when she is a teacher - what a shock she is going to get!
Congrats on nearly finishing!