Monday, August 01, 2011

Pride and Predjudice, or First Impressions?

We had a team away day this week as we are merging with a Youth Offending Team (YOT) due to budget cuts (somehow it saves money?). Therefore a whole glorious day was given over for us to get to spend some time getting to know our fellow team members and bond. I am useless at things like this, as you will see.

The first 'game' was to tell your partner a car or cartoon character that personifies yourself, which they will then feedback to the group and then everyone will know you. Ok well better than alliteration verbs: Lazy LE? Since i know nothing about cars and no cartoon character is quite as neurotic as myself i found it quite a challenge. I am also very naive at times, and it wasn't until we started to go around the room sharing our new friends' car soul that i realised everything being said was being turned into a sexual connotation and a euphemism for all relationships that person has.

There was raucous laughter at comments like, 'She's a ford, because she's cheap' or 'she thinks of herself as a mini as she is easy', even 'she's a Audi as she grips the corners well', etc etc. As this nightmare pans out before me, i know what I've already said to my new friend, and i know what towards the end of this circle she is going to loudly declare to everyone. Why oh why, did i think it was a good idea to say, 'oh, I'm not a car I'm a bike!'

That's barely even a euphemism, more like a direct statement, 'LE will sleep with anyone who wants a go'. Due to the volume of the laughter and loud catcalls, i never got to explain that i care about the environment and my health. Now all my new colleagues know my name, especially the men.

No comments: