Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I survived the four year old- Yippee!

Well, i spent Christmas with Xss, my nephew Leo, and Xss's family. It was a really nice time, but it was very nice to be able to give the child back to his father. Sometimes i wonder if i keep seeing him long enough, if i will never have kids, as he'll keep popping up as a constant reminder about the lack of liberty and sleep you get once you enter parenthood.

Leo has recently become much more articulate and is going through the 'why' stage. I see this as a fun sort of game- a bit like a quiz show- how many 'why?s' can you answer before you have to abandon the conversation. Rules also include not saying 'i don't know' and always answering in terms he would understand. I imagine the way to deal with this behaviour is probably the reverse. I best one was trying to explain 'luck' to him.

Following on from this we had a great conversation about some smiley face pictures i had on the wall. We had to talk about why the sad face was sad, the angry, angry etc. It was brilliant! Its like they couldn't exist without feeling something. No object is inanimate.

He returned home yesterday, i was relieved to have my space back, and not be talking about all these things, but give me 2 days and I'll miss him dearly again and want to see him, hug him, smell his hair and answer those darn, stupid questions.

No comments: